The Ceph Blog

Ceph blog stories provide high-level spotlights on our customers all over the world

• March 26, 2013
    Congratulations to Apache CloudStack!

Today the Apache Software Foundation announced that Apache CloudStack has graduated from the Apache Incubator and become a Top Level Project. New Apache projects start in the Incubator, where they work to build a strong, multi-firm community and adopt the governance practices and philosophies common to all Apache projects. Anyone familiar with Apache knows that […]

• March 14, 2013
    Ceph “Office Hours” Announced

If you watch the mailing lists closely you will already have seen the new “Office Hours” announcement that went out yesterday. We are very excited about the opportunities this provides our larger community for getting directly involved. While Inktank may be the first, we’re hoping that many other organizations will help to “man the rails” […]

• March 12, 2013
    Ceph Settles in to Aggressive Release Cadence

Since its inception, Ceph has always had a fast-paced rolling release tempo. However, with the amount of adoption that Ceph has had over the last year (including continued integration work with several other open source projects), we wanted to move to a more reliable, and predictable, release schedule. The release schedule can be divided into […]

• March 1, 2013
    Results From the Ceph Census

Hi! From February 13-18, we ran our very first Ceph Census. The purpose of this survey was to get a sense of how many Ceph clusters are out there, what they are used for, and which technologies they are used alongside. The Census was announced on the ceph-devel and ceph-users mailing lists and a link […]

• February 14, 2013
    Deploying Ceph with ComodIT

At this year’s Cloud Expo Europe I had a nice chat with the guys from ComodIT who are making some interesting deployment and orchestration tools. They were kind enough to include their work in a blog post earlier this week and give me permission to replicate it here for your consumption. As always, if any […]

• February 12, 2013
    Ceph Comes to Synnefo and Ganeti

During my most recent schlep through Europe I met some really great people, and heard some awesome Ceph use cases. One particularly interesting case was the work the guys at Synnefo shared with me at FOSDEM that they have been doing with Ganeti and RADOS. They were nice enough to write up some of the […]

• February 8, 2013
    Introducing ceph-users

Hi! It’s me again, your friendly Ceph community manager. Lately I’ve gone off the deep end collecting data about activity and participation from our mailing lists, IRC channel, and git repository. I think they’re interesting and I’d like to start regularly sharing what I see. Today I’m going to focus on some interesting trends from […]

• February 4, 2013
    Ceph Bobtail JBOD Performance Tuning

Contents Introduction System Setup Test Setup 4KB Results 128KB Results 4MB Results Results Summary Conclusion INTRODUCTION One of the things that makes Ceph particularly powerful is the number of tunable options it provides. You can control how much data and how many operations are buffered at nearly every stage of the pipeline. You can introduce […]

• January 22, 2013
    Ceph Bobtail Performance – IO Scheduler Comparison

Contents Introduction System Setup Test Setup 4KB Results 128KB Results 4MB Results Results Summary Conclusion INTRODUCTION One of the strangest things about the holidays is how productive I am. Maybe it’s the fact that Minnesota is bitterly cold this time of year, and the only entertaining things to do outside often involve subzero winds rushing […]

• December 24, 2012
    Ceph Over Fibre for VMWare

We always love it when Ceph users choose to share what they have been doing with the community. Recently, a couple of regulars to the #ceph IRC channel were good enough to give us a very detailed look at how they were using Ceph to power their VMWare infrastructure. So, without further ado, read on […]

• December 13, 2012
    Deploying Ceph with a Crowbar

We have seen users deploying Ceph in a number of different ways, which is just plain awesome! I have spoken with people deploying with makecephfs, ceph-deploy, Juju, Chef, and even the beginnings of some Puppet work. However, thanks to collaboration between Inktank and Dell there is a really solid deployment pathway using Dell’s Crowbar tool […]

• December 6, 2012
    Monitoring a Ceph Cluster

Ok, so you have gone through the five minute quickstart guide, learned a bit about Ceph, and stood a pre-production server up to test real data and operations…now what? Over the past couple of weeks we have gotten quite a few questions about monitoring and troubleshooting a Ceph cluster once you have one. Thankfully, our […]

Careers