The Ceph Blog

Ceph blog stories provide high-level spotlights on our customers all over the world

• October 9, 2013
    Ceph Performance Part 1: Disk Controller Write Throughput

Introduction Here at Inktank our developers have been toiling away at their desks, profiling and optimizing Ceph to make it one of the fastest distributed storage solutions on the planet.  One question we often get asked is how to build an optimally performing Ceph cluster.  This isn’t always an easy question to answer because it …Read more

• September 24, 2013
    CloudPlatform and Ceph: Delivering the Power of Choice

The CloudPlatform 4.2 eagle has landed! This is especially exciting for Ceph users as it expands the integration footprint to give much better breadth and depth. The best part? The Ceph community was leading the charge on the integration work, and has done an amazing job in delivering powerful options to the end users. While […]

• September 16, 2013
    Why Not Open Source?

In recent history it seems that open source is becoming much more of a household name (are we sick of blog entries titled “Open Source on the Desktop” yet?). From Linux to WordPress and everything in between, there are a myriad of projects that are both successful and freely available via source to anyone who […]

• September 10, 2013
    Monitors and Paxos, a chat with Joao

This is a dialog where Joao Luis, Ceph core developer with an intimate knowledge of the monitor, answers Loïc Dachary’s questions who discovers this area of the Ceph code base. Many answers are covered in Joao’s article Ceph’s New Monitor Changes (March 2013), with a different angle. Loic: My line of questions will be from […]

• July 18, 2013
    Ceph Developer Summit: Emperor

It’s that time again! Time for the (virtual) Ceph Developer Summit. We are currently accepting community blueprints for ‘Emperor,’ the next stable release of Ceph, which is due out in November. This summit will be slightly different from the Dumpling summit in that it will be spread over two days to give some of our […]

• July 16, 2013
    Ceph early adopter: Université de Nantes

In case you missed Loic’s account of a recent visit to the Université de Nantes, we are replicating his blog here. It’s always great to see the community adopting Ceph and doing great things with it, even if they are doing it without Inktank support. Read on for a great look at a Ceph early […]

• July 8, 2013
    XenServer Support for RBD

Ceph has been enjoying tremendous success in the Openstack and Cloudstack communities, and a large part of this is due to the ease of using the Ceph block device (RBD) with the KVM or the open-source Xen hypervisor . This was achieved through patches that were made by Josh Durgin, an Inktank engineer, to Qemu […]

• May 23, 2013
    State of the union: Ceph and Citrix

Since last month saw huge amounts of OpenStack news coming out of the Developer Summit in Portland, I thought it might be worth spending some time on CloudStack and its ecosystem this month. With the Citrix Synergy event in full swing, a ‘State of the Union’ with respect to Ceph and Citrix is probably the […]

• May 2, 2013
    Ceph Developer Summit Looms

The Ceph developer summit that we announced a few weeks ago is nearly upon us! Since the event is next week we wanted to make sure that everyone was aware of the details for participation and attendence. Summit Date: 07 May @ 8a – 2p PDT (GMT -8) The community has already been hard at […]

• April 25, 2013
    Ceph Community Expands “Geek on Duty”

Last month Inktank launched a community help program that we called “Office Hours” in an attempt to provide specific hours where an engineer would be available to answer questions from the community. These efforts have done a lot for both the ability to answer questions, as well as the ability for our engineers to focus […]

• April 15, 2013
    Ceph Mania

Ceph is super hot. When people tell me that storage can’t be sexy, I can’t help but feel like Ceph can be! I was out in our L.A. office last week, and the first thing I saw when I showed up was this: A Ceph fanboy working with a multi-petabyte deployment of Ceph decided to […]

• April 4, 2013
    Ceph support in OpenNebula 4.0

The Ceph team has been extremely blessed with the number of new people who choose to become involved with our community in some way. Even more exciting are the sheer numbers of people committing code and integration work, and the folks from OpenNebula are a great example of this in action. At the end of […]

Careers