This is the fifth major release of Ceph, the fourth since adopting a 3-month development cycle. This release brings several new features, including multi-datacenter replication for the radosgw, improved usability, and lands a lot of incremental performance and internal refactoring work to support upcoming features in Firefly.
- common: improved crc32c performance
- librados: new example client and class code
- mds: many bug fixes and stability improvements
- mon: health warnings when pool pg_num values are not reasonable
- mon: per-pool performance stats
- osd, librados: new object copy primitives
- osd: improved interaction with backend file system to reduce latency
- osd: much internal refactoring to support ongoing erasure coding and tiering support
- rgw: bucket quotas
- rgw: improved CORS support
- rgw: performance improvements
- rgw: validate S3 tokens against Keystone
Coincident with core Ceph, the Emperor release also brings:
- radosgw-agent: support for multi-datacenter replication for disaster recovery (buliding on the multi-site features that appeared in Dumpling)
- tgt: improved support for iSCSI via upstream tgt
There are no specific upgrade restrictions on the order or sequence of upgrading from 0.67.x Dumpling. We normally suggest a rolling upgrade of monitors first, and then OSDs, followed by the radosgw and ceph-mds daemons (if any).
It is also possible to do a rolling upgrade from 0.61.x Cuttlefish, but there are ordering restrictions. (This is the same set of restrictions for Cuttlefish to Dumpling.)
- Upgrade ceph-common on all nodes that will use the command line ‘ceph’ utility.
- Upgrade all monitors (upgrade ceph package, restart ceph-mon daemons). This can happen one daemon or host at a time. Note that because cuttlefish and dumpling monitors can’t talk to each other, all monitors should be upgraded in relatively short succession to minimize the risk that an a untimely failure will reduce availability.
- Upgrade all osds (upgrade ceph package, restart ceph-osd daemons). This can happen one daemon or host at a time.
- Upgrade radosgw (upgrade radosgw package, restart radosgw daemons).
There are several minor compatibility changes in the librados API that direct users of librados should be aware of. For a full summary of those changes, please see the complete release notes.
The next major release of Ceph, Firefly, is scheduled for release in February of 2014.
You can download v0.72 Emperor from the usual locations:
- Git at git://github.com/ceph/ceph.git
- Tarball at http://ceph.com/download/ceph-0.72.tar.gz
- For Debian/Ubuntu packages, see http://ceph.com/docs/next/install/get-packages/#id1
- For RPMs, see http://ceph.com/docs/next/install/get-packages/#id2